First NHL Game and I Almost Missed It!

(Nikon D300, iso 1000, 1/500 @f2:8, 14-24 @14mm)

I got to photograph my first NHL game on Wednesday night and it almost never happened. I totally forgot what the date was and thought the game was on Thursday night. A call by a friend of mine reminded me of the correct date and I had to scramble to get home, get my gear and drive to Boston. I ended up leaving town around 3:00pm. I live in Jericho, Vermont so it is about a 3ish hour drive to the Wellington train station. I usually show up to sporting events at least an hour before the start of the game especially if it is my first time at the location. It is always a good idea to get to a game early, you never know what problems might arise and you can usually get some good stock shots before game time. I got to the TD Banknorth Garden about a half hour before game time. With a little walking around and a few questions later I found my way to the media entrance and then to the ice.


(Nikon D300, iso 1000, 1/500 @f2.8, 14mm lens)

With about fifteen minutes to go before game time I settled into a shooting position in one of the corners of the ice. I got my camera's out and took some test shots to get the exposure for the night. As I was looking at a photo on my computer another photographer who was assigned that position came and booted me (nicely) from my spot. After that I decided to go to the balcony to get a over view of the Garden during the player introductions and then I would find another place to shoot from as the game started.

(Nikon D300, iso1600, 1/13 @ f2:8, 10.5mm)

I took a about 20 shots from the balcony, but it was hard for me to just pick one because I liked most of them. Each had some different lighting so I ended up transmitting a few of the images.

After I was done with that I made my way back down to the ice and found a position on one of the corners of the ice to shoot from. I liked it because it had I nice view of both benches. The holes in the glass to shoot from at the Garden are a little smaller than the ones I am use to at Gutterson Fieldhouse for the Vermont games. It was a little harder to maneuver around but after awhile I got the hang of it.

It was a good game right from the start. Tons of action and lots of goal scoring. The Sabres lead the game 3-2 within the first five minutes of the game.

(Nikon D300, iso 1250, 1/500 @f2:8, 80-200mm @ 165mm)

It was nice shooting a hockey game that was so bright. Here at Gutterson on the University of Vermont campus, I'm shooting at iso 3200 with 1/320 @2:8. Check out my sportsshooter page to see what I am talking about. It is tough to get some good quality photos out of that place. Good thing the new Nikon's high iso kicks ass.

A friend of mine loaned me a couple of his lens, the 10.5 and the 14-24. I ended up using the 14-24 a lot. I really love the wide angle shots in Hockey. It really gets you right into the action.

(Nikon D300, iso1600, 1/640 @f2:8, 14-24 @14mm)

I've been to many NHL games as a spectator, but I was surprised by the lack of big hits in the game. This was one of them but the funny thing is that Jaroslav Spacek #6 falls down after trying to lay a hit on Michael Ryder #73.

(Nikon D300, iso 1250, 1/500 @f2:8, 80-200 @200mm)

The Bruins ended up beating the Sabres by a score of 7-4. I had a blast at the game and I got some decent images but I can't wait until my next Bruins game.

(Nikon D300, iso 1250, 1/500 @f2:8, 80-200 @86mm)



Brian Jenkins Photography

Brian Jenkins Photography is based in Vermont specializing in music, sports and portrait photography and video production. Brian is the chief photographer for the University of Vermont athletic department, photographing all of the Vermont Catamounts sports events. Brian's dynamic photography can be seen in some of the largest local and national editorial publications such as the Burlington Free Press, ESPN.com and Sports Illustrated, among many others. Brian Jenkins Photography is capable of producing high quality imagery for your sports, portrait, editorial, or concert projects. Brian Jenkins photography also directs and produces high quality video production for editorial, promotional and music clients. Contact Brian Jenkins Photography at info@brianjenkinsphotography.com for more information.

Copyright Notice

All images on this site may not be used, reproduced, distributed, copied, or downloaded in any way without the permission of Brian Jenkins and 3rd Stone Images. All photographs are protected and any unauthorized use is subject to penalty under U.S. copyright law. All rights reserved

If you would like to inquire about any images on this blog please contact Brian Jenkins info@brianjenkinsphotography.com