Photo of the Week 12-15-08

Photo of the Week

(Nikon D300, iso 1600, 1/125 @f:2.8, 10.5mm)
A general view of the stadium as the Bruins and Sabres warm up before the start of
the Boston Bruins win 7-4 over the Buffalo Sabres at TD Banknorth Garden
on Wednesday night November 19, 2008 in Boston,
Massachusetts. © 2008 Brian Jenkins


I always try to get an overall view of each stadium I visit.
This being my first time at the TD Banknorth Garden and running late, I didn't get into the arena until 6:30 (game time at 7:00). I usually try to get to a sporting event well in advance, especially when it is a place I have never been. Once I got into the Garden I found out where to go and made my way to the rink to find a place to shoot the game from. After asking a few questions I found a spot, sat down and started shooting.
At hockey games there is a little hole in the ice so that you can stick your lens through and take photos. It can be pretty scary when a puck or body comes flying at the hole. I have had a few close calls, but haven't been injured yet. I got hit in the shoulder with a stick that came through the hole during a Vermont game one time and I have seen the results of a puck hitting a 200mm F:2 lens. It's not pretty.
I was sitting at my shooting position on the glass, shooting stock photos when another photographer from a different wire service came up to me and kindly booted me out of that shooting position. I guess some of the shooting positions are assigned but I just showed up and sat down. I got up and thought about my next move. The players were about to take the ice for the game and since I had to find another shooting spot I decided to get a general view of the Garden during the pre game ceremonies. I quickly ran to the top of the Garden and put on the fish eye (10.5mm) lens I borrowed from a friend and began to shoot.
The lighting is pretty cool during pre game. I haven't been to an NHL game since I lived in Colorado (12 years ago). I took several different shots while I was up there (see post here for a different version) but this was my favorite one. I wish I could have gotten the whole blue stripe of light but I was already leaning over the railing with my arm stretched out to get this shot. Didn't want to press my luck. Maybe next time I'll try a pole cam.
After getting a few good shots, I headed down to the ice, found an open hole in the glass and shot the rest of the game.

Brian Jenkins Photography

Brian Jenkins Photography is based in Vermont specializing in music, sports and portrait photography and video production. Brian is the chief photographer for the University of Vermont athletic department, photographing all of the Vermont Catamounts sports events. Brian's dynamic photography can be seen in some of the largest local and national editorial publications such as the Burlington Free Press, ESPN.com and Sports Illustrated, among many others. Brian Jenkins Photography is capable of producing high quality imagery for your sports, portrait, editorial, or concert projects. Brian Jenkins photography also directs and produces high quality video production for editorial, promotional and music clients. Contact Brian Jenkins Photography at info@brianjenkinsphotography.com for more information.

Copyright Notice

All images on this site may not be used, reproduced, distributed, copied, or downloaded in any way without the permission of Brian Jenkins and 3rd Stone Images. All photographs are protected and any unauthorized use is subject to penalty under U.S. copyright law. All rights reserved

If you would like to inquire about any images on this blog please contact Brian Jenkins info@brianjenkinsphotography.com